Moderator post

Dear Moderator,

My name is Brandon Poonwasie (0660). I am in Group 3, along with Juliette Wileman (0875) Chrystal LI (0470) and Audrey King Lassman (0397).

If you'd like to view any of my A2 work, just click the labels on the right that include A2 in them, i.e. A2 Research and Planning and A2 Prelim.

Thank you,
Brandon

Group 3

Group 3

Our Facebook Group

Here is the link to our facebook group:
Group 3 Facebook Group

Our Music Video

Our Website

Our Website
To get to our website, click the banner above. It will automatically open in a new tab/window.

Our Digipak

Our Digipak

Monday 8 December 2014

Shoot day: 12th November + reflections

On the 12th November shoot, we focused on getting all of the band set-ups filmed, so we could spend as much time as needed improving the performance and also to take publicity shots, without worrying about having to change and re-light the set for a new era.

The set-up was the same as on the 4th November, with the bass on the left of the frame, guitar on the right, drums in the background and the singer standing slightly left of center in the foreground.

The Band Set

Unlike for the band rehearsals and previous band shoots, Jacob was with us for this one, so we were able to film the wide shot of the entire band, as well as the individual shots of Jacob.
Shooting an MCU of Jacob

As we realised our music video was starting to seem too static, without the fast-paced editing we planned to do, we decided it was a good idea to try and be creative with camera movement. To attempt this, Juliette used the dolly and weaved in between the band members. Upon review of the footage, we decided that it was not the best idea to include this, as it did not fit with the styling of the rest of our video, having been focused on the costume, set, choreography and narrative through the use of static shots.

Juliette using the dolly to try and incorporate camera movement into our shots
As we myself, Chrystal and Audrey were in the band, Juliette was the director for these shots, as well as for the publicity shots that were taken. However, during the individual close-ups/mid shots, whoever was not in shot was able to assist with the directing of the shots and positioning of the camera.


Setting up and reviewing the individual shots of Jacob

Personally, I felt the band performance was much better after having rehearsed it before, as it felt like we were all more confident in what we were meant to be doing. Specifically for me, I found that I was able to keep up with the track with what I'd learnt on the drums, and despite the fact that I did not know it properly, I felt much better about the performance aspect.

Me behind the drums
The use of characters seemed to help, with Chrystal being the 'cool bassist', and Audrey playing the 'happy, fun guitarist'.

However, playing the drums as my character, who is meant to be quite eccentric and outgoing, was quite difficult to do while trying to maintain a realistic performance. I was told to smile more and look up, but from my own experience of seeing drummers and being in a band, even when the person is bubbly and energetic, they don't usually look up that much or smile throughout all of it. This, along with having to concentrate properly on what I was playing, made it difficult for me to follow the direction I was given, despite giving my best efforts, and I feel like I could have done better.

REFLECTIONS

After looking back at the footage, we decided that most of it was okay, with Mrs B approving of the set, costumes, lighting, and the majority of the performance.

Jacob, with the mic covering his mouth in the frame
However, one thing that we didn't recognise during the shoot was that the microphone covered Jacob's mouth a lot of the time, so needed to be lowered, which would allow the audience to see his lip-sync.

Decisions:
- Re-shoot individual shots of Jacob and the Wide Shot


No comments:

Post a Comment